The City’s History
The City of Colwich, founded in 1886 and incorporated in June, 1887 as a third class city is located in South Central Kansas approximately five (5) miles northwest of Kansas’ largest city, Wichita. A rural-suburban community, Colwich is a place where residents can enjoy the comforts of a small town, but yet take advantage of all the amenities of metropolitan life.
The Kansas Oklahoma Railroad intersects Colwich with K-96 approximately two miles north, Highway 400 approximately six miles south, with US 135 and the Kansas Turnpike to the east making Colwich comfortably accessible to all major transit systems surrounding the region. Mid-Continent Airport, located south of Colwich, provides residents with air transportation offering services from several main stream industry airlines.
Colwich is located in Sedgwick County which has a population of 1429 residents, all of which live inside the corporate city limits of Colwich. Sedgwick County has demonstrated an unbroken pattern of continued population expansion and economic growth which influences and impacts all cities in Sedgwick County including Colwich. The population of Colwich has shown a continuing pattern of growth throughout its history with the exception of one ten year period between 1920 and 1930 showing a less than 1% loss.
Colwich is a community governed by a Mayor, five Council members offering a full line of services provided at the administrative center including municipal court, with maintenance, police and fire departments for the care and protection of our residents. Click the associated links to find out more information regarding the services rendered.